Monday, December 01, 2008

The moon, Jupiter, and Venus


I hope you had a chance to go outside just after sunset and see the moon, Jupiter, and Venus tonight. It was awesome! Jupiter was brighter than any of the airplanes flying in the pattern near the house, and Venus was the next-brightest thing in the sky. I ran and tore Jacob and Megan from their digital worlds to see this, and called Sue at Scouts and my parents out in Oregon to tell them about it.

I remember when the Peiades (sp?) meteor shower was exceptionally strong one year I woke the kids up at 4:30am to go outside and watch it, and even took them out to see Mars when it was large and red in the sky. And I even stood out on the deck all night to videotape a lunar eclipse. All of this and no telescope!

Now all we need is a comet or something :-)