Thursday, May 29, 2008

Awakened by fire in neighbor's yard tonight


I woke up because I heard a loud boom around 3:30am. I saw a bright orange light through the blinds of our bedroom window, stumbled over and looked through the blinds to see a huge fire in the yard behind the woods of our back yard! I quickly woke Sue up, then got Jacob and Megan up, telling them all to get dressed and outside, then called 911. They already knew about the fire and said there were units on the way, so I woke Stephen and Kevin up and got them motivated, then got dressed and started grabbing the necessary things in case the fire turned and came our way. The kids all got ready very quickly, got outside, and we all watched this huge blaze do it's thing. Sue disappeared as she went to the neighbors' houses to make sure they were awake and aware, and I had Jacob move one of the vans down to the street in case the fire turned toward our house. We all stood and watched as the police and fire trucks came, and the fire was quickly extinguished.

It gets you moving when you wake up and see a huge fire behind your house! Sue and the kids did great, staying calm and doing what they needed to do quickly and quietly. It ended up being the neighbor's barn that burned, and no one was hurt - praise the Lord! I hope the rest of the day is calmer :-)